Watch with IG TV: The third in the Charting the Markets series of videos
As part of the STA’s educational offering, here is today’s interview (29 March 2019) with Ron William, of Ron William Advisory, with Jeremy Naylor, on IG TV. Many will recognise Ron as a regular attendee at our monthly meetings, and Jeremy is a veteran, and ex-Bloomberg presenter and interviewer.
The video kicks off with the statement that 2019 was the ‘’happiest New Year in 30 years’’ for the S&P 500. This is a new concept for me, but I’m assuming happiness equals bullish. As a derivatives trader, not a stockbroker, I have no directional bias as I know I can make money in bull markets, bear ones, and those going nowhere.
He immediately moves into cautionary mode, pointing out the many divergences in this latest quarterly rally, reminding us that history may not repeat itself but it often rhymes. He uses a dynamic regression line (which looks like it might be the bottom of a trend channel), something I’d be interested in finding out more about.
We then move on to the volatility VIX measure, where compression for several years, (except Q1 and Q4 2018), is seen as the calm before the storm. Then on swiftly to seasonality and breadth in US indices. He looks at FAANG stocks on a relative basis (see this week’s blog), interestingly starting at 0 rather than the more usual 100.
His charts are clear, bright and colourful, illustrating clearly what he’s saying. I must warn you that he speaks quickly, so you’ll have to keep up. Or, like me, you might just press the pause and rewind button.
Tags: moving average, S&P500, Seasonality, Vix
The views and opinions expressed on the STA’s blog do not necessarily represent those of the Society of Technical Analysts (the “STA”), or of any officer, director or member of the STA. The STA makes no representations as to the accuracy, completeness, or reliability of any information on the blog or found by following any link on blog, and none of the STA, STA Administrative Services or any current or past executive board members are liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. None of the information on the STA’s blog constitutes investment advice.
- ‘New Thought on Market Profile’: Trading the Flow of Control May 12, 2021
- ‘How to Plan for an Emergency’: A webinar, part of Financial Literacy Month May 7, 2021
- Markets, motion and moving averages: Alternative options for a perennial favourite April 21, 2021
- ‘Long Term Forecasting using Interdisciplinary Price Analysis (IPA)’: A presentation by Tom Bundgaard of Kairos Commodities April 15, 2021
- Hello darkness my old friend: I’ve come to talk with you again… April 9, 2021
- A fireside chat with author Jack D Schwager: He of Market Wizards fame on
- Market Wizards – and their lesser known cohorts: Jack Schwager hits the book launch circuit on
- Colours, clashes and clichés: How and why use colourful charts on
- Do you know Aroon? I do, but not very well on
- Must read classics: Richard W Schabacker – the real bible of technical analysis on