The STA Blog - Tag: Equities
Foreigners often believe that Brits’ are totally into tradition. As a subject of His Majesty King Charles III, I can say that this may or may not be the case, and in any event, don’t be fooled; all too many […]
Waking up yesterday in Queensland at some unhinged time that he calls ‘convict hours’, Nick Radge (head of trading and research at The Chartist, Australia) admitted he had a bad cold. Nevertheless he soldiered on with what proved to be […]
A phrase dreaded by market makers in all areas of finance who, because they are obliged to make two-way prices for existing clients throughout the business day, means there are more difficult orders on the way and the most recent price the client accepted was because it went in their favour. In other words, the dealer’s got stuck with a nasty position and scrambling out of it is about to get even harder.
I’m probably preaching to the converted, but: beware media headlines. Bad news is shocking, and shocking sells newspapers. Sensationalist wording gets eyeballs on social media. Slick and surprising video footage gets clicks; so it goes, and has always; therefore journalists are trained to write exciting copy. In fact, larger media outlets have teams whose sole job is to come up with catchy headlines.
This month’s speaker, Riccardo Ronco of institutional equity brokerage Aviate Global, dashed in on a cold London evening looking just as dapper as you’d expect of an Italian. Claiming his compatriots were no good at cracking jokes to break the […]
In a week where the Shanghai Composite Index lost 10 per cent of face value in just two days, cries of ‘tears’, and ‘I told you so’ abound. There is also an element of schadenfreude as these same writers didn’t […]
- ‘‘The digital euro is on the move!’’ ‘We need to prepare our currency for the future’, Christine Lagarde November 21, 2023
- ‘Surfing the Waves of Social Mood’ STA presentation by Robert R. Prechter, CMT November 16, 2023
- Fickle followers of fashion: Who, and why, do they choose to move on? November 10, 2023
- Crisis, what crisis? Can technical analysis help? October 24, 2023
- Keep their quant tactics incognito October 11, 2023
- A fireside chat with author Jack D Schwager: He of Market Wizards fame on
- Market Wizards – and their lesser known cohorts: Jack Schwager hits the book launch circuit on
- Colours, clashes and clichés: How and why use colourful charts on
- Do you know Aroon? I do, but not very well on
- Must read classics: Richard W Schabacker – the real bible of technical analysis on
Posts by Date
The views and opinions expressed on the STA’s blog do not necessarily represent those of the Society of Technical Analysts (the “STA”), or of any officer, director or member of the STA. The STA makes no representations as to the accuracy, completeness, or reliability of any information on the blog or found by following any link on blog, and none of the STA, STA Administrative Services or any current or past executive board members are liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. None of the information on the STA’s blog constitutes investment advice.