Trend Following – A Complete Edge for the Private Investor
A presentation for IFTA by Zaheer Anwari on the 15th July 2021
Co-Founder of Sublime Trading since 2018, Zaheer has been an STA member for some time and has given a similar presentation to the STA when we could meet in person at One Moorgate Place. This was Part I of a two-part session, the next coming up on 19th August 2021 at 10:00 US Eastern time. STA members and all others at affiliated societies to IFTA are welcome to book a place for free.
Zaheer explains the all-too common switch he made from starting to trade with a short term time horizon in 2005 to focusing on the long term in 2007. He’s been mentoring other traders since 2012 and has a slick publicity patter on financial literacy. His motto: ‘’make as much money (safely) as possible between now and retirement – while getting on with your life day-to-day’’.
He likes to use his weekends to create and adjust the watch lists of shares he’s currently following ‘’as there is no pressure to get positions in’’. That means that on weekdays in a matter of minutes he can decide what to do with his investments. Believe it or not, his scanning process may include up to 10,000 different assets, so obviously screening software like MetaStock and eSignal are essential. He publishes a weekly newsletter which can help you avoid the cost of such charting packages.
Claiming to mainly use 50 and 200 period simple moving averages on weekly charts, his chart examples tend to be of shares which have rallied parabolically over the recent past; things like Ashstead, Croda, Nike and Nvidia. He stays away from trading stock market indices, merely using them to gauge market conditions. Viewers were then asked to complete a scorecard to receive a free gift.
Tags: newsletters, screening
The views and opinions expressed on the STA’s blog do not necessarily represent those of the Society of Technical Analysts (the “STA”), or of any officer, director or member of the STA. The STA makes no representations as to the accuracy, completeness, or reliability of any information on the blog or found by following any link on blog, and none of the STA, STA Administrative Services or any current or past executive board members are liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. None of the information on the STA’s blog constitutes investment advice.
- ‘‘The digital euro is on the move!’’ ‘We need to prepare our currency for the future’, Christine Lagarde November 21, 2023
- ‘Surfing the Waves of Social Mood’ STA presentation by Robert R. Prechter, CMT November 16, 2023
- Fickle followers of fashion: Who, and why, do they choose to move on? November 10, 2023
- Crisis, what crisis? Can technical analysis help? October 24, 2023
- Keep their quant tactics incognito October 11, 2023
- A fireside chat with author Jack D Schwager: He of Market Wizards fame on
- Market Wizards – and their lesser known cohorts: Jack Schwager hits the book launch circuit on
- Colours, clashes and clichés: How and why use colourful charts on
- Do you know Aroon? I do, but not very well on
- Must read classics: Richard W Schabacker – the real bible of technical analysis on