Watch with IG TV: Charting the Markets
Another of the STA’s educational offerings, here is a programme with Josh Mahoney MSTA, Senior Market Analyst at IG TV on their regular daily Charting the Markets series. Underlining the calibre of IG presenters’ understanding of financial markets, Josh earned a Distinction in our Diploma exam, which I’m sure members will wish to congratulate him on. Recorded on the 2nd May, we apologise for the slight delay in posting this video.
Keen technical analysts may want to skip the first 5 minutes where he discusses recent policies and thinking at the Bank of England and the US Federal Reserve, their issues with inflation and PMI data.
He then moves on to 3 key stock indices with a consistent use of MACD, Stochastics, and 200-unit simple moving averages. This methodology follows in his choice of 3 currencies, gold and Brent crude oil. For his short term views he switches between daily, 4-hourly and hourly charts. IG, as do other spread betting firms, often publish the net positioning of their trading clients. Note that 75 per cent are currently long of gold. This is another way of looking at consensus opinion, something contrarians love!
Click here to view.
Tags: 200-day SMA, consensus positions, MAC, Stochastics, Technical Analysis Courses
The views and opinions expressed on the STA’s blog do not necessarily represent those of the Society of Technical Analysts (the “STA”), or of any officer, director or member of the STA. The STA makes no representations as to the accuracy, completeness, or reliability of any information on the blog or found by following any link on blog, and none of the STA, STA Administrative Services or any current or past executive board members are liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. None of the information on the STA’s blog constitutes investment advice.
- The STA’s 55th Birthday Party: Drinks, canapés and a good crowd September 18, 2023
- ‘Elliott Wave Outlook on Global Equity Markets’: The GPS of the markets works on fractals September 13, 2023
- International Technical Analysts Day: Remember, remember the 9th of September September 4, 2023
- The generation game: Fault lines and advantages August 24, 2023
- Elastic bands, bonds and rebounds: How to spot reversals – in charts and thinking August 15, 2023
- A fireside chat with author Jack D Schwager: He of Market Wizards fame on
- Market Wizards – and their lesser known cohorts: Jack Schwager hits the book launch circuit on
- Colours, clashes and clichés: How and why use colourful charts on
- Do you know Aroon? I do, but not very well on
- Must read classics: Richard W Schabacker – the real bible of technical analysis on