‘For he’s a jolly good Fellow: And so say all of us’
Walking up Threadneedle Street from the Bank of England at lunchtime on April Fool’s Day – and a New Moon to boot – I should have expected a flurry of snow. Reconvening for a post-pandemic annual lunch, Fellows of the Society of Technical Analysts had been invited for a get-together – drinks supplied by the STA.
I was in The City of London for the first time in a while, and was quite shocked by what I saw. So many empty retail premises; no hustle and bustle of a Friday as sandwiches were snatched or pints quaffed. Quite honestly, people drifting through an arid wasteland. Post-pandemic indeed!
Which was very apropos, as this month marks the centenary of the publication of T. S. Eliot’s The Wasteland. As I understand, he was employed (unhappily) in the basement office of the foreign transactions department of Lloyds Bank at 20 King William Street. One of its most famous stanzas is:
‘’April is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.’’
Eleven of us were sat around a long table in a private room with a delightful Italian waitress. Nice food, lots of catching up, and a bit of reminiscing over old times. Interesting that several had suffered from a bout of Covid this year, and that few had travelled abroad over the last two years.
As of today, Thursday the 7th April, the estate of T. S. Eliot has organised events to coincide with the centenary, including 22 City churches, where as they suggest are ‘’a moment in which to pause and reflect’’.
Tags: Annual Events, Old Friends, STA Fellows
The views and opinions expressed on the STA’s blog do not necessarily represent those of the Society of Technical Analysts (the “STA”), or of any officer, director or member of the STA. The STA makes no representations as to the accuracy, completeness, or reliability of any information on the blog or found by following any link on blog, and none of the STA, STA Administrative Services or any current or past executive board members are liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. None of the information on the STA’s blog constitutes investment advice.
- Looking forwards and backwards: At this time of year December 2, 2022
- Long term weather forecast for power trading: Webinar from Refinitiv 17 November 2022 November 23, 2022
- ‘Are you delusional?’: The title of Victoria Shepherd’s recent magazine article November 14, 2022
- Larry the lad looking good: Despite trading since 1962 November 11, 2022
- The Day of the (Living) Dead: Ghosts and ghouls at this time of year November 1, 2022
- A fireside chat with author Jack D Schwager: He of Market Wizards fame on
- Market Wizards – and their lesser known cohorts: Jack Schwager hits the book launch circuit on
- Colours, clashes and clichés: How and why use colourful charts on
- Do you know Aroon? I do, but not very well on
- Must read classics: Richard W Schabacker – the real bible of technical analysis on