Charting the Markets with IG TV: Patricia Elbaz MSTA on the main markets
Never the shrinking violet, STA member and technical analyst at Financial Trends, Patricia wades right in as cable sits perilously on what many believe to be key support at $1.2600. Using the phrase ‘base-building’, and interestingly a 52-week moving average, she suggests that though sterling looks weak we might be in the process of attempting an interim low. The same thing is the case for spot gold, hinting that the phase of US dollar strength might be over.
She then turns to the euro against the greenback, pointing to and describing a doji candle (open and close at the same price). Trouble is, IG are one of the few data providers who quote and chart markets on a Sunday, thus explaining the tiny daily range. Like the Japanese yen against the US dollar, these are trading close to important psychological levels, where the yen’s value in a risk-off environment continues.
Moving on to commodities, with Brent crude she uses a 200-day moving average which has done a good job containing downside tests. Looking closely at the shape of each candle, she focuses on those with ‘not a full range below’ [the moving average]. These are the spike lows and the whiskers, or shadows, of the candles.
All round a balanced and cautious look at key markets where range-trading has dominated this year.
To watch, click here.
Tags: Candlestick charts, moving averages, Risk-Off Evirnment, Technical Analysis Courses, Trend Lines
The views and opinions expressed on the STA’s blog do not necessarily represent those of the Society of Technical Analysts (the “STA”), or of any officer, director or member of the STA. The STA makes no representations as to the accuracy, completeness, or reliability of any information on the blog or found by following any link on blog, and none of the STA, STA Administrative Services or any current or past executive board members are liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. None of the information on the STA’s blog constitutes investment advice.
- ‘New Thought on Market Profile’: Trading the Flow of Control May 12, 2021
- ‘How to Plan for an Emergency’: A webinar, part of Financial Literacy Month May 7, 2021
- Markets, motion and moving averages: Alternative options for a perennial favourite April 21, 2021
- ‘Long Term Forecasting using Interdisciplinary Price Analysis (IPA)’: A presentation by Tom Bundgaard of Kairos Commodities April 15, 2021
- Hello darkness my old friend: I’ve come to talk with you again… April 9, 2021
- A fireside chat with author Jack D Schwager: He of Market Wizards fame on
- Market Wizards – and their lesser known cohorts: Jack Schwager hits the book launch circuit on
- Colours, clashes and clichés: How and why use colourful charts on
- Do you know Aroon? I do, but not very well on
- Must read classics: Richard W Schabacker – the real bible of technical analysis on