Charting the Markets with IG TV: Nicole Elliott on her day’s work
Recorded and broadcast live on Thursday the 21st November, Victoria Scholar gets Nicole Elliott FSTA to run through the charts and thinking behind that day’s email sent out to Investors Chronicle subscribers. Daily she covers 3 main indices, 2 currencies and spot gold, adding a little bit of market relevant news and published economic data to set the scene.
Using IG charts – so that readers can see what excellent software is available for free – Nicole admits that several markets are drifting rather than trending properly, maybe because they’re trading in the middle of long-term ranges – and as we face the year-end lull. Importantly, she notes that technical analysis techniques should be adjusted for this and expectations lowered.
She talks of the proliferation of ‘’tiny, insignificant doji candles’’, something she’s ‘’never seen quite so many [of] in a multi-decade career’’. She also reminds us that ‘’size matters’’, comparing a gravestone doji and a shooting star, a Marabuzo and a growing MACD. Momentum is another of her favoured oscillators, stressing that watching for divergence is possibly even more important than the direction the signal is pointing.
STA members will, I’m sure, want to wish Victoria good luck as next week she sits the Part I exam of the STA’s Diploma Course.
Click here to watch.
Tags: divergence, Doji, MACD, momentum, Size
The views and opinions expressed on the STA’s blog do not necessarily represent those of the Society of Technical Analysts (the “STA”), or of any officer, director or member of the STA. The STA makes no representations as to the accuracy, completeness, or reliability of any information on the blog or found by following any link on blog, and none of the STA, STA Administrative Services or any current or past executive board members are liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. None of the information on the STA’s blog constitutes investment advice.
- Old men and obituaries: Looking back, short and long term December 6, 2023
- ‘‘The digital euro is on the move!’’ ‘We need to prepare our currency for the future’, Christine Lagarde November 21, 2023
- ‘Surfing the Waves of Social Mood’ STA presentation by Robert R. Prechter, CMT November 16, 2023
- Fickle followers of fashion: Who, and why, do they choose to move on? November 10, 2023
- Crisis, what crisis? Can technical analysis help? October 24, 2023
- A fireside chat with author Jack D Schwager: He of Market Wizards fame on
- Market Wizards – and their lesser known cohorts: Jack Schwager hits the book launch circuit on
- Colours, clashes and clichés: How and why use colourful charts on
- Do you know Aroon? I do, but not very well on
- Must read classics: Richard W Schabacker – the real bible of technical analysis on