STA Blog

An old friend tells how the STA mapped out his career: From Personal Trainer to Trading Coach

Rajan Dhall MSTA, one of the three founding members of DND Capital (North and Dance the other two) gave a lovely presentation at an in-person monthly meeting for the STA Tuesday 14th May; well attended, with more than average young people and ladies. A clear and candid talk about has career, managing expectations and keeping an eye out for pitfalls.

Working at a gym near JP Morgan’s offices at Blackfriars (London), he’d listen to the traders’ ups and downs, started following markets, and one day had made enough money investing in stocks to tentatively set up on his own. Along the way he studied for the STA Diploma course and with what he learned there started devising his own trading strategies. He warns that it’s not a ‘’get rich quick’’ effort and admits that today while 60-70% of his thinking is based on technicals, the other 30% leans to fundamentals.

Salient points from his teachers were the limitations of market indicators and how Market Breadth has similarities with auction theory. The part intuition plays and how Behavioural Finance cannot be ignored; also how ego and Buddhism can be important. He also learnt the value of being stubborn – sticking to, and trusting a method and model that you know suits you. Finally, the art of writing technical analysis reports.

Rajan always trades trending markets, with one simple 21 period moving average (not moving average crossovers), buying when price is above the one average for a 2:1 risk/reward ratio, stopping himself out at the previous swing low. He takes into account the structure of a market and instrument before important economic data is released and warns that one can have ‘’too much information’’.

The firm also has two other (less used) strategies, one of which has the MACD at its core, the other the shape of the candles themselves. ‘’I want things to be simple. That’s just my personality’’. His candid talk underlines what a very decent chap he is.

Do look into their website:

Posted in Education, Finance, General, Markets, STA charts, STA education, STA news, Technical Analysis

The views and opinions expressed on the STA’s blog do not necessarily represent those of the Society of Technical Analysts (the “STA”), or of any officer, director or member of the STA. The STA makes no representations as to the accuracy, completeness, or reliability of any information on the blog or found by following any link on blog, and none of the STA, STA Administrative Services or any current or past executive board members are liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. None of the information on the STA’s blog constitutes investment advice.

Not ready to join? Stay Updated

If you want to learn more about membership and being part of the STA, sign up for our updates so we can keep in touch.


Monthly Meetings

The STA holds 11 monthly meetings in the City of London, including a summer and Christmas party where canapés and refreshments are served.


Latest Videos

As a service to our members, many of whom are unable to attend all our monthly meetings, we have been making videos of meeting presentations for several years.


STA Libraries

The STA has an extensive library of classic technical analysis texts. There are over 1000 books in the collection. It is held at the Barbican Library with a smaller...


Market Technician

Latest research and news

More Info

World Class Tutors

STA Course Lecturers

More Info


Be part of something special

More Info


View latest posts

More Info