STA Monthly Meeting May 2009
The predominant market activity is one of range trading; most asset classes trend far less than is commonly perceived. The correct selection of technical indicators will depend on identifying the phase of the market. Kevin will discuss how emotional biases drive price action and can prompt trends to extend beyond the bounds of a normal Gaussian curve into the “fat tails” of the distribution. He has been a user of technical analysis throughout his career and after witnessing behavioural biases first hand in the open outcry-markets now uses trend strength and momentum techniques to disqualify “noise” trading and quantify the intensity of directional moves.
Kevin Edgeley has worked in the city since 1982. He spent 15 years as a floor trader on LIFFE for Bache, HSBC and Goldman Sachs before moving to a technical strategy role within economic research.
Next STA Meeting
Future STA Meetings
Latest Blog Posts
- Quick video interview with Elizabeth Miller: A panellist at the STA’s April conference.
- D’mitri Richardson breezes in from Chicago: Propelled by the cycles of W D Gann
- STA Podcast with Stephen Hoad: Ahead of the Technicals to Trading Systems Conference
- Podcast with Alan Dunne MSTA: Ahead of the STA’s Technicals to Trading Systems Conference
- How NOT to write about the markets: As a technical analyst, economist or media pundit